By David Klinger (updated with 2015 dates)
A high percentage of road cyclists have a century ride on their bucket list. Riding a century is a real accomplishment and thought should be given in the selection of your first century to make it a positive experience and hopefully make you want to do more. Finding century rides in Colorado without major elevation gains and without extreme potential weather factors can be challenging. The following ride details are a good start to pick a ride:
- Denver Century Ride, June 20, 2015, urban ride covering much of the northwest metro area.
- Buena Vista Bike Fest, June 6, 2015, ride distances of 35, 50, 62 and 100 miles are available, with the majority of climbing completed in the first 60 miles.
- Durango 100 Grande Fondo, April 19, 2015, riders can chose between 50, 84 and 100 mile distances traveling the most majestic areas of Southwest Colorado and Northwest New Mexico.
- Circle The Summit/ 8th Annual Bob Guthrie Memorial Ride, TBD – in 2014: August 16th, 4 rides all begin in Frisco with distances ranging from 21 to 100 miles.
- COCO Century, June 6, 2015, 40 & 100 mile distances. One of several Gran Fondo rides in Colorado, situated in Southeast Colorado.
- Tour de Cure Colorado, August 15, 2015, 4 distances – 20K, 50K, 100K and 100 miles. American Diabetes Association ride starting in Longmont.
- Icon Lasik Tour of the Moon, October 3, 2015, ride follows courses used in the ’80 Coors Classic and cycling movie American Flyers, traveling in and around the Colorado National Monument Park.
- Santa Fe Century, May 17, 2015, while not set in Colorado, this century has been on the to do list of many Colorado cyclists.
- Triple C Bike Ride, May 16, 2014, beginning in Broomfield, the ride is described as a “flat, fast early season century ideal for beginning century riders.”